I found this article on my facebook feed this morning and I couldn't help but respond http://www.metalsucks.net/2008/06/17/the-top-39-annoying-things-that-local-bands-do/
My husband and I have a collective 30 years of performing in venues that depend on local musicians and we came up with a list of annoying things club owners do and say to local bands. I really hoped it would top 39 but we only came up with 7:
1. We're going to charge a large door fee and give you 10 percent...but we need you to give us 20 percent of your merch sales.
2. We know you're the band that filled the club tonight but we can't pay you.
3. Sorry for putting you on first before the doors open.
4. Here's some tickets. Sell half of them or you can't play. BTW we can't promote the show.
5. The sound guy and the guy running the show won't be there until 8 but we need you to load in at 4.
6. We're going to have to charge you for tap water, even though you are in the band and need to drink it during your set.
7. My favorite was having the club owner introducing himself to all the guys in the band and neglecting to shake my hand or give me the food and drink vouchers. I don't know if he thought a woman couldn't be in the band or maybe we don't need to eat before a show. He also neglected to turn my guitar on through the monitor or house PA so apparently we can't play guitar either.
I could only come up with 7. If I could have topped 39 I would have quit music long ago. If you read the entire article you will learn that this club went out of business.That being said, for every 1 jerky club owner, I have met 20 really nice, grateful and supportive ones. As a way to dwell of the positive I've listed some of my favorite and nicest places I've played. There are a lot from the south. I'm not sure if that's because of the southern hospitality or if I was just really road weary and a free meal seemed super nice.
My favs in no specific order:
Perks Norwood Ma
Sully's Hartford, CT
Soule Homestead Middleborough, Ma
Beale Street Tap room Memphis, TN
Acoustic Coffeehouse Johnsonville, TN
Norms Nashville, TN
Grady's Tavern Manchester, CT
Twilight Tea Room Brattleboro, VT
Rain Desert Cafe Danielson, CT
Narrow's Center for the Arts Fall River, MA
Wool Radio Bellows FAll, VT
the and band...somewhere on tour.